Pierce Greenberg, PhD
College of Arts and Sciences
- Spatial Inequality
- Environmental Sociology
- Survey Research Methods
- Rural Sociology
- Cultural and Social Studies
- Assistant Professor
- Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
- Sports and Society
- Statistics for the Social Sciences
Coal Waste, Socioeconomic Change, and Environmental Inequality in Appalachia:
Implications for a Just Transition in Coal Country, Society & Natural Resources, 31(9), 995-1011, 2018
- The US Environmental Movement of the 1960s and 1970s: Building Frameworks of Sustainability, Routledge, Routledge Handbook of the History of Sustainability, 137-150, 2018
- In the Shadow of Production: Coal Waste Accumulation and Environmental Inequality Formation in Eastern Kentucky, Social Science Research, 71(March 2018), 37-55, 2018
- Disproportionality and Resource-Based Environmental Inequality: An Analysis of Neighborhood Proximity to Coal Impoundments in Appalachia, Rural Sociology, 82(1), 149-178, 2017
- Spatial Inequality and Uneven Rural Development: The Local Stratification of Poverty in Appalachia, Journal of Appalachian Studies, 22(2), 187-209, 2016
- Strengthening Sociological Research Through Public Records Requests, Social Currents, 3(2), 110-117, 2016
Editing and Reviews
- Book Review: The War on Leakers: National Security and American Democracy from Eugene V. Debs to Edward Snowden by Lloyd Gardner, Surveillance and Society, 15(2), 347-348, 2017
- Risk Perceptions of Coal Impoundments in West Virginia: Industry Trust and Risk Habituation in Appalachia. American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, Penn. , 2018
- Community and Regulatory Response to Cryptocurrency Mining in Washington State. Energy Impacts Summit. Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. May 4, 2018.
- The Local Stratification of Poverty in Appalachia. Rural Poverty Research Institute: Rural Poverty: Fifty Years After The People Left Behind. Poster session. Washington, D.C. March 21-22, 2018.
- Policy and Research Workshop: Rethinking Data Collection with Public Records Requests: Perspectives from the U.S. and Canada. American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Montréal, Québec. August 12-15, 2017., 2017
- Translating Sociological Methods to Marketable Skills: Practical Advice for Professionalization in Undergraduate Methods Instruction. American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. Montréal, Québec. August 12-15, 2017.
- Coal Waste, Socioeconomic Change, and Environmental Inequality in Appalachia: Implications for a Just Transition in Coal Country. Rural Sociological Society Annual Meeting. Columbus, OH. July 28-30, 2017.
Research and Scholarship Interests
- Environmental Inequality, Rural Sociology, Spatial Analysis, Social Science Statistics, Survey Research Methods